Thursday, August 23, 2007

A Safe But Wet Arrival

I'm now very pleased to be writing from my new room here at BCS.

I'm not so pleased to say that I'm writing on battery power as we've
just had a power cut.

The plane finally landed in Dakar at about 1:45 local time last night.
We were delayed a total of 11 hours I think.

The good thing was that we met the De Souzas at Lisbon airport and there
was quite a crowd of us in the minibus on the way home.

I finally got to bed at 4:30 and slept surprisingly well considering the
new bed and the humidity.

The humidity was (and is) very noticeable but thankfully it's been
fairly cool so far.

It turns out the rains never properly started here over the summer.
There were only two storms of note. There's hope that things are really
kicking in now though as we drove through a very impressive storm last
night and there's been heavy rain this lunchtime followed by rumblings
and threatening skies right now.

Last night was a big one. I stepped out of the van to try and see how
wet Lesley's suitcase was getting on the roof-rack and when I got back
in the van it was like I'd jumped into a swimming pool fully clothed
(fun!). There was cool lightning too. Every so often our surroundings
would light up and we'd see the sillhouettes of baobabs on the horizon
against the bright white sky.

I've spent this morning trying to get my room into order but I'm finding
it very sweaty work. In fact I just broke into a forehead sweat brushing
my teeth! It's quite fun really, I'm enjoying the novelty at the moment
and I got used to it last year so it doesn't bother me (although Ruth
and Tracey were amused by my shininess at lunch).

I found out at lunch time that I'm now officially a full time teacher.
That will mean no dorm duties and a Saturday day off. I'm disappointed
in a sense that I won't be in the dorm officially but I'll definitely
hang out there when I can and I plan to be as available as possible in
the first few days to help the Eagle kids settle in with new dorm
parents and dorm helpers (whilst trying not to tread on their toes).

I had thought initially that I'd like to be a full time teacher this
year but as time went on I realised I really wanted to stay in the dorm
too. It'll be interesting to see how the two roles compare (although
comparison of jobs is impossible here really and a fairly fruitless and
even divisive exercise at times). It will mean I have the house to
myself a lot at times which will be nice.

I should go now before I use too much battery as I'm not sure when power
will return (it's too expensive to run the generator when so few people
are on site and no real work is being done).

No comments: