Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Once more unto the breach, dear friends...

Less than 24 hrs left in the UK!

For the last few weeks I've been looking forward to getting back to work, especially as I've been running out of things left to do on my little list. Now as it approaches more immediately I'm starting to realise more of the challenge of what lies ahead.

In one sense a year is a short time. Definitely as I look back on the last one I can see that it was not long enough and I feel the need to go back BCS for a while longer; but as I look ahead a year suddenly seems a much longer period of time. A long time before I return home and see friends again. A long time before another cup of tea with real milk!

I must devote some time today to drinking tea and making loud musical noise on various instruments.

One of the things which has been most on my mind recently about the next year is how our new team will fit together. It takes such a long time to really feel comfortable and efficient as a team. Only last term was I starting to notice that about some of the team relationships at school
and now many of those team members are gone and new ones on the way.

The first meeting with all the new staff will be strange. It's good that they will have mostly met each other first at the orientation course at UK HQ. I know that was a great comfort to me when I arrived last year; to see familiar faces at the first coffee break.

I'm not sure whether to brave a cup of tea this time around remembering the dire consequences last year. Luckily I have a few days before that particular coffee break to gauge my overall sweatiness and decide whether it's wise or not. (for context to these comments see my blog
from August 30th last year)

I should really start packing I guess. There are a lot of things I want to take that I mustn't forget. I probably will forget something but hopefully nothing major.

I'll leave the house just after midnight tonight heading to Birmingham airport arriving at the school hopefully between six an seven tomorrow evening (just in time to watch the football if it's on anywhere or listen to it otherwise).

No comments: