Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Rain

It's raining!

That's not so unusual for this time of year but this summer has been
quite a dry one so far. And it's not just raining, it's torrential, the
only kind which really counts here.

We've just had a talk from Wally Seck, on of the locals from Kinniabour
who has a little English and German too. He was talking to us about
Sereer culture and village life. It was very interesting.

I think I'm one of a very small number who braved the rain and ran to
check their windows. If you leave your windows open during heavy rain
you can end up with some very soggy belongings.

Johannes has just come home, also looking wet but not as wet as I was.

I've not got anything timetabled this afternoon so I think I'll continue
to work on the school amplifier in the chapel. It's been an ongoing
project since term one last year. I finally diagnosed the cause (I hope
correctly) last Easter and the parts needed were ordered then but have
only just found their way here to the school. I started on it yesterday
and initial signs were promising (at least the fuse didn't blow with the
new component as it did with the old).

Another reason for working in the school-block is that Ruth said she
would be doing a dance in the primary wing. Whether she was serious or
not remains to be seen but it's intriguing nonetheless.

My pot of tea looks nearly brewed. I'm taking advantage of the cool that
the rain brings to drink a hot drink in comfort. So far I've not drunk
tea in the dining room but only in people's houses, perhaps I'm still
affected mentally by my experiences of dining room tea this time last year.

Time for a spot of tea and maybe a ginger nut.

No comments: