Sunday, August 26, 2007

Full House

As predicted my house has changed in an instant; it's no longer 'mine',
it's 'ours'. My new housemate Johannes arrived yesterday night at about
11:30.

He's a year older than I thought (19) and seems a very nice chap. His
English is not great but he makes a good effort and can hold a
conversation fairly well.

He seems very happy to sit in the lounge and make small talk which has
been nice.

Not being the worlds greatest conversationalist myself I sometimes worry
about my own first impression on occasions such as this. Although
they're not so important in the long run they can have a big effect on
relationships for a good few months (depending on how memorable the
impression is).

I remember last year it took me quite some time to realise a
subconscious spirit of competition between myself and Adam (entirely one
way). Because we were the only single men on site I felt that everything
I did would be measured against him, especially with me being the new guy.

I hope I can avoid such silliness this year and develop healthy
relationships with all the new staff quickly, as well as improving
relationships with existing staff.

I'm conscious that even after just a few days I still feel a little like
Johannes is moving into 'my' house. I hope that he can feel at home and
make the house his own. I've deliberately tried not to move too much of
my stuff into the lounge and I've not done any decorating of any sort.
Hopefully we can find something to put up though as the lounge is quite
bare!

I'm also wondering how to approach ownership of food and other such
items. So far I've tried to communicate a freedom to use anything
Johannes finds in the kitchen but this may need adjusting once he's had
a chance to stock up and once we see how our lifestyles fit together.

We will be keeping very different hours once term starts anyway as he
will be in the dorms and I shan't be.

No comments: