Monday, June 18, 2007

A Week of Many Birthdays

There have been a couple of things this week which I would have liked to have devoted an entire entry to however, as usual, life here has been to busy to allow it.

As you may know, this weekend was my 24th birthday, an occasion worthy of comment of course, but also earlier in the week I made my second visit to the British ambassador's residence for another birthday.

On Thursday I was accompanied by Ruth, Tracey, Lesley, Dee and Sue in a 'sept place' taxi into Dakar. We had been invited by the new ambassador to join the annual celebration of the Queen's birthday. It was a rather larger affair than the Christmas do. All the other ambassadors had been invited and we were rubbing noses with UN officials and such. The ambassador made a short address in English and French (his French is not great, he was quite obviously reciting a memorised speech which didn't sound very natural). There was also a short speech from a Senegalese government official whose English was much better than our guy's French, the highlights being "we've been working hardly..." and his finishing words, "God save the Queen, God save Abdoulaye Wade" to the literal sense of which I gave a hearty 'Amen' (Wade is the recently re-elected Senegalese president).

The main highlight of the evening, besides the company in which I went, had to be the food. It was a buffet, the first table you saw containing seven varieties of English cheese! Tintern with chives, Stilton, Stilton with apricot, Wensleydale with cranberries, Keen's farm unpasturised Cheddar, Pilgrim's Choice mature Cheddar, and some other blue whose name tag had blown away in the evening sea breeze. Also on that table was smoked salmon, cold sliced steak and little folded ham crepes and olives on cocktail sticks. This was my favourite table. All the cheese we usually get is Edam and we rarely get to eat it on its own. Also throughout the evening there were waiters serving assorted finger food of varied origin and barbecues serving meat kebabs of different sorts. I spent most of my time talking to the others from the mission community but towards the end of the evening I got into a conversation (or rather was spectator to a conversation) with a very excitable Senegalese man from the UN drugs and crime department who wanted to tell us all about his very intersting work and the terrible socioeconomic state of Guinea Bissau. Luckily Nathan, who I was standing with at the time, has a little more knowledge of the situation than me and was able to sustain the conversation.

The taxi ride home was long but more pleasant than the journey there as I was no longer paranoid about sweating through my best shirt however my waistcoat is now distinctly crumpled having been sat on for an hour and a half.

I look forward to my next opportunity to dress up for 'Centre Stage', the school's annual concert on Wednesday night.

So, onto the second birthday.

On Friday night I'd been up very late preparing the exam papers and mark schemes for this week's annual senior exams. Consequentially I actually forgot that it was my birthday the next day and didn't realise until shortly after entering the shower the next morning. BCS birthdays start with candles at breakfast and someone praying for you before the dininghall is filled with the tuneful (or not so in this case) sounds of 'Happy birthday to you'. I enjoyed the morning despite working. I went with a group of kids down to Kiniabour for 'Saturday jobs' where we helped put in some drainage for the new kindergarten which the school raised money for last year. In the afternoon I was unfortunately quite tired after my late night on Friday and felt that I wasn't able to enjoy my party as much as I should have. I had a joint party with Chris who is exactly a year older than me (and is already married with two children!). After our party we had a meeting about next weekend which will be the junior weekend away. The evening late-night activity was an outdoor game involving running and water which I sat out of, joining the old people on the sidelines talking about various issues of going home and coming back and buying guitars for the school.

It's lunch time now so I shall have to leave it there. I'll try and write about centre stage before the end of the school week.

No comments: