Thursday, June 21, 2007

Centre Stage

It's Wednesday afternoon and I'm supervising the end of a R.E. exam for Chris who has gone to Mbour to take the juniors for swimming lessons.

I've spent the best part of the morning preparing the chapel for Centre Stage tonight. I was planning to do a post-concert blog but I now find myself at a loose end so I've decided to make it a before and after.

I've been looking forward to tonight for some time. Largely because afterwards I'll be able to cut my nails again on my right hand. I've been trying to revive some of my old A-level guitar pieces and I'm feeling fairly pleased with them despite some hiccups in my practice half an hour ago.

It's been tough practicing them. The nice guitar I was playing on returned to its owner a couple of weeks ago and since then I've been playing on one the worst specimens I've ever seen which I was given by Lesley when she threw it out. When I've been in the dorm I sometimes play on a poor 3/4 size instrument there.

Dirk-Jan suggested that I may find myself with a few classical guitar students next term and raised the idea of buying a couple of instruments for the school whilst back in the UK.

Tonight also is the premiere of the short film we made in film club last half term. It's been a nightmare trying to edit it but it's finally finished. It's a really girly story, reflecting the members of the club. Set in times of castles etc; a queen has a baby but fears the baby may be under threat from 'The Phantom' whose hand in marriage she rejected some time ago. The Phantom promised revenge and so the Queen sends her newborn daughter with a sled driver to be raised in the forest. The Phantom hears of the child and searches for her, finally finding her 15 years later. He overhears her talking to a bird about her terrible plight and feels guilt and other such emotions. His heart changed by what he has heard, he reveals himself to the Princess and asks for her hand in marriage. She accepts, they marry and we all live happily ever after... nearly as bad as some of the films I've seen here this year.

Well it's now the day after the concert. Quite a relief really.

It was a cool atmosphere. We had quite a large audience for an optional activity including some parents of daily and weekly boarders.

The concert started with some recorded pieces from year 7 music class. For the last few weeks they've been collecting sounds from around the school site and U.Chris put them together into some sort of musical arrangement, kind of in the style of 'musique concrete'. The first piece, 'People', was a bit rough around the edges and too long but the second, 'Places' was far more interesting and was received fairly well considering its limited appeal. More class work was then followed by individuals and small groups on recorder, voice and piano. I was the final act of the first half however before me was a mystery guest. He was a guest of the Jins and was just here for that evening but had asked if he might perform. I was a little nervous as he too was a classical guitarist. He played two pieces very well and although they were maybe not quite of the same difficulty as mine he played them much better than I did. Yet another lesson learnt in pride perhaps.
Upon talking to this guy afterwards it turns out he's studying music in an American university and will be performing the Bach Lute Suite (of which I played a piece) in his junior recital.

My nails are now all short again which makes typing this much easier! It's still a bit of a novelty having short nails again. I intend to make the most of my enjoyment of it by playing the bass sometime today; it's no fun playing bass with long nails, it sounds and feels bad.

This weekend is the special weekend away for the kids. I've just remembered I have to make a packing list and a swimming pool rota today. It will be the final weekend for Florence and for the Kray family. Florence is already feeling a little sad and has spent much more time with me than normal the last few days. She's one of the children I'm closest to and I will miss her. She is moving to France with her family (French mother, Brasilian father) and will be starting at a French/English bilingual school. She had almost no English when she started here back in September. The Krays have been here a long time; Terissa is the oldest student in the school, Megan was one of the kids baptised last week and Sarah has been one of my Eagle dorm girls this year. They are returning to Australia where the girls have had a hard time previously during furloughs. Please pray for them all and the friends they leave behind.

No comments: