Monday, April 30, 2007

Term Approaches

Hello.

It's Sunday and I don't know what to do with myself so I turned on my computer.

The holidays are nearly over now. It's been almost a month break from school which has been great, although not much of a holiday for me most of the time.

Having failed to sort out my passport in time to go away I've been at the school for the entirety of the holidays except for one night in Dakar for my paperwork at the embassy and one night in a tent in the neighbour's mango fields.

My major achievement this holiday must be a revision of the school's electronic library catalogue. I was working on one of my students' IGCSE Computer Studies coursework projects trying to make it useful and usable in the school library. It's taken quite a few hours in front of the computer and I've learnt a fair bit of VB and SQL in the process (along with their limitations).

Yesterday I presented it to the school librarian and she was very pleased with it so I spent the rest of the morning writing user manuals for her and for the students. I was intending to take the day off but I should've known it wouldn't happen.

Today we had another 'British brunch' like the two we enjoyed last holiday. We figured seeing as the queen had her birthday recently it was a good excuse for another fry-up. Seeing as I was the person most keen to do it I ended up hosting it and spent over an hour this morning cooking sausages, bacon, beans (from the Gambia), eggs and tomatoes. It was champion (as Ruth would say).

After our brunch we went over to Falcon dorm for Aron Baarsen's 2nd birthday party and I ate lots of mango crumble. I shalln't need to eat again until this evening I reckon.

I plan to play volleyball in an hour's time so that should make up for all the unhealthy food so far today.

Tomorrow will be busy. I've a teachers' meeting first thing followed by a dorm staff prayer meeting and lots of jobs I need to get done before the kids arrive on Tuesday afternoon. I think I'll need to start sleeping during siesta again before long.

No comments: