Monday, May 7, 2007

Guitar Repairs

I'm just about to go online so I thought I might as well write something first to update my blog whilst I'm there.

It's my day off and I've just spent an hour in the workshop making a new bridge for my acoustic guitar. I'm amazed at how well it's turned out; due in no part to any skill of mine but solely to God's grace and the wisdom of others. It should look really nice when I finish (although the rest of the guitar will still look ugly), it's made from red-wood, not the giant american trees but a reddish brown very dense wood common in these parts.

I need to go online to get some tips about placement (what I've made is actually the saddle, I think, into which the bridge will be seated and the exact position of the bridge is very important for tuning).

The weekend was a good one. On Saturday morning I was able to use the time when the kids do chores to get a few jobs done myself. Usually I supervise one of the kids teams working outdoors but this weekend I didn't have to so I used the time to finish off some telephone system maintenance and fix one of the night-guards' rechargable torches.

After lunch I had a long but very strange siesta. I was in a dream which I couldn't wake up from. My mind was quite awake but I couldn't open my eyes or move my body, when I tried to open them I would see my room but it wasn't actually my room, it was a dream room. It was actually quite scary and I hope it's a one-off.

In the afternoon I played football for a while in the sports hall and got very sweaty, so much so that I was very glad to be ambushed by a group of water fighters on the way back to my house.

The evening activity was a 'choice movie', where kids can choose from three movies shown in different dorms simultaneously. I watched 'Facing The Giants', a quite unique film made by a church in America. It's about a high-school football team (of the odd shaped ball variety) and their coach who, in the midst of multiple personal crises, turns to God for help. In many ways the plot is quite incredible but, with the theme of the film being 'nothing is impossible for God' it's allowed to be to some extent. I enjoyed it far more than I expected although that may be partly due to a misconception that it was based on a true story which greatly affeted my attitudes to the parts others found a little hard to swallow.

On Sunday it was my turn to make the evening meal which made my afternoon very busy. I made bread rolls which, combined with a malfunctioning mixing machine and a mistake on my part, meant that I was slaving away for three hours on what was in fact a relatively simple meal. The rolls were really tasty though and I had a lot of very happy eaters at the end of the night.Again God was very gracious to me dispite my follhardiness and independence.

I should go get online now before I run out of time as lunch is fast approaching.

No comments: