Thursday, April 5, 2007

Holidays continue

Having been in Dakar on Monday I'd thought I might have posted something sooner but I didn't get round to it what with writing my latest monthly update and hanging out with others at the guesthouse.

The passport thing was a bit annoying. The embassy were quite good and fairly quick but I found when I got there that a temporary passport (my hoped for solution) was useless to me as it would only get me out of Senegal but not back in, or anywhwere else for that matter. Had I got a temporary passport for our Gambia trip I would have needed to apply for a full passport whilst in the Gambia from the embassy there. In the end I've applied for a full passport through the Dakar embassy but it won't come through in time to go to the Gambia so I'll miss out on my travel plans for this Easter.

I need to find something else to do because I know that if I stay here I won't rest properly.

I started on a programming project this week. I've been adapting one of my student's IGCSE projects so that it can be implemented at the school. It's an electronic library catalogue and borrowing system. I've made some good progress today although I've had some rather odd working hours (always the way with me and programming, hopefully not if I go professional).

We've also started filming our staff version of The Lord of The Rings. That's been great fun although it'll require some serious effort if we're to finish filming all three parts by the time school starts again. Our costumes are the best part, we wore them to staff coffee this morning and got some interesting comments.

Don't know what I'll do this evening; maybe see if anyone's interested in playing some cards. We played volleyball and watched a film last night so cards will be a welcome change.

There are quite a few people away at the moment. Fran, Jacqui and Tracey all have family visiting and have gone off to various parts of the country with them. Some are in Dakar and a large number leave for the Gambia and Mauritania on Monday.

It's going to get very quiet next week. Time to edit our film maybe :o)

No comments: