Thursday, March 1, 2007

SIPS 2007 Day 2

It's been a long day.

I got up this morning at 6:15 to go out and buy bread for the day and 4kgs of bananas for lunch. Breakfast was at 6:45 as we needed to be at the International School of Dakar (ISD) by 8:30 ready to parade around the field there.

Today was volleyball and football. They have a grass(!!!!) football pitch at ISD and an indoor and an outdoor volleyball court. It was a really busy day for some of our students. Some were playing in three different teams and had six games over the day. The exhaustion was really visible by mid afternoon and it was agonising watching the kids trying to eek out just a little more energy for every ball that came their way.

We had some wins but in general we did pretty poorly points-wise. Despite a lack of points there were some very good team performances. I saw people playing to their best and teams playing better together than I've ever seen in practice at BCS.

It was quite an emotional day at times. Particularly when the midgets played. The 'BCS Midgets' is the name we gave to our youngest football team; a late addition to the events this year. They are all Eagle dorm kids and half of them are still at the stage of being scared by flying balls but they put in some great performances. I screamed myself hoarse and I'm hoping for swift vocal recovery overnight.

I should go to bed now as I've gotta be up early again tomorrow to buy more bread and fruit before breakfast.

Check out a few photos from the past 2 days on my flickr account (link on the right hand side).

No comments: