Monday, September 24, 2007

A Long Monday

Mondays used to go so quickly when it was my day off. Today's been
unusually long though. I've been on lock-up and generator duty today
which means I had to unlock the main school buildings at six o'clock
this morning and I have to lock up again at about 10:30 tonight.

Having got up so early I went to the 6:15 prayer meeting and then came
home again to finish the getting up process and brew a pot of tea before
breakfast in the dining hall.

I used my grapefruit marmalade. It tastes fantastic but unfortunately
didn't even remotely set and therefore eating it is a balancing act
trying to stop it running of the bread. There are 30 jars of it so I
think I might need to buy some pectin or gelatine and try to rectify the
problem or else find another use for it (an interesting dessert for
Sunday lunch maybe!?)


School was good this morning. My problem class, year 8, has been going
much better for the last two lessons.

Afternoons are a bit funny at the moment. My day's very disjointed as my
teaching's usually over by lunch and then siesta onwards is spent at
home trying to plan and prepare lessons. The afternoons can be very long
and not always productive and there's no clear finishing time at the end
of school when you're at home.

The good news is that by staying in tonight I've bought myself time for
the rest of the week. I have only two more lessons to prepare for the
coming week (both on Friday) and so I can hopefully much make bigger
inroads into next week's planning before the weekend. I should also be
able to start devoting more time to the maintenance side of my
responsibilities in the afternoons.

I spent a good half hour this evening just listening to music. I made
the mistake of choosing one of my favourite most relaxing and absorbing
tracks for the start of my evening's playlist and then spent the next 30
minutes just sitting in the soft glow of my lamp letting my favourite
tracks wash over me and enjoying some satisfying resonance somewhere
inside my gut from my little subwoofer.

Whilst enjoying the music I was dwelling on the pleasure which such
things can bring and the levels on which it satisfies. I had the joyous
revelation that even though I don't expect to see most of my favourite
bands and musicians in heaven I can look forward to a sound which
satisfies on an even deeper level, combining all that is so powerful
throughout the history of human music making and redeeming and
perfecting it in the presence of the perfect and glorious God who even
now I'm lost for words to describe as I'd like to.

Now the work is done for the night and I'm onto hot chocolate and Neil
Young. Probably a bit of a strum on the guitar too before I go lock up
and give the keys to Adam who will be on duty for the rest of the week.

No comments: