Monday, November 20, 2006

BCS Olympics

It's been a long but very fun weekend here at BCS. This weekend saw the first ever BCS Olympics, a three day event comprising such varied sports as dodgeball, cycling, hopping, weight lifting, frisbee golf, pillow fighting, skipping, sumo wrestling, crab football and sheet volleyball. It all started on Friday with the opening ceremony. All the teams were assembled between the dining hall and the chapel/school block in their team colours with their flags holding up placards with their country's name. Each of the teams then paraded around the arena to their chosen national anthem, ranging from the theme from Knightrider to the theme from Pirates of The Carribean, and made their opening remarks expressing their thanks for their invitation and their best wishes for the other competitors. Once all the teams had done their thing one we lit the olympic flame. David, one of the boys from my dorm, ran in with a flaming torch (a wooden sword dipped in diesel) which was then passed from team to team before being used to light a small bonfire in a steel barrel (all this accompanied by suitably cheesy music of course). Each team competed galantly throughout the weekend with some very impressive individual efforts, particularly in the weightlifting. I spent most of the weekend behind the screen of my digital camera, having found a tripod in a cupboard a few days earlier. I will try and put the best photos on a CD and send them home so they can be put up on my Flickr page.

Today's my day off again, I'll probably have a lazy day on site I think although I'd like to go to the beach (the girls left without me last week, they couldn't find me :o( the phone wasn't working properly in the workshop where I was tinkering).

No comments: