Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A Long Day

This blog entry is dedicated to Tammy Nicholson (Nolly will be
pleased...), sorry for taking away your lifeline for so long :o)

Today has been a long one, I knew it would be before it started. In fact
this week so far has had that kind of feel about it. It seems that no
matter how well prepared I thought I was for this week's lessons, when
it comes to the night before and I give my plans the once-over I
invariably end up kicking myself for my stupidity in forgetting to do
some major thing needed for the next day's lesson.

On Tuesdays I normally just teach for three periods in the morning but
today some of the staff had to go to Thies for health checks (something
to do with ID cards I think) and I was expecting to teach double DT with
year 8 this afternoon. Thankfully some lessons were rearranged and I
only had them for period six but it was still a drag. After school I had
two half hour music lessons, one of which was particularly trying and
then this evening we had adult French class.

After tea I tried to crack on with the last bits for tomorrow before
French. Having satisfied myself that I was fairly ready apart from one
class I decided to evaluate some possible teaching videos on 'energy'
for the IGCSE class, five minutes into which I was disrupted by Coralie
who had come to ask if I was coming to French. I hadn't fully heard the
announcement at lunch time and therefore was unaware of the earlier than
usual start and didn't have a clue as to the location. It was good that
she came looking for me.

We watched 'Les Choristes', a French film, at the Moltons house. It's a
very good film and highly recommended although the English subtitles
distracted me, I would have preferred them in French but the disc didn't
have them. I wasn't expecting to watch the whole thing in one sitting
but we did, hence the very late night now. After the film finished I
returned to the video room to continue watching my science videos. I had
to stop at 10:15ish for fear that I would get locked in and so went to
do a bit of photocopying before coming home.

Having done my photocopying and arrived home I realised that I'd been
looking at the wrong lesson plan all along and I didn't need to copy
those pages for tomorrow's lesson. Actually I should have copied a
different book and I should also have tried and prepared three short
demonstrations on pressure in liquids and hydraulics. At this point I'm
in sore need of something to release the building tension and so I
decided to eat a piece of flapjack, only to discover that I should have
finished it last week as it's now dry and not very nice!

Thankfully I have now done all that desperately needs doing tonight
(save putting two documents on memory stick to be printed first thing
tomorrow - I write that by way of a reminder to myself) and I can relax
a little by venting my frustrations at my computer keyboard whilst
listening to music at fairly loud volume on my headphones (it's late and
Johannes has turned in, otherwise it'd be the speakers and maybe lights
out too).

Just yesterday I read a devotional thought based on Matthew 6:34. I've
found it so true so far this week that God gives us just enough
resources for our daily requirements. Often it's tempting to try to do
things in our own strength but I've seen this week just how lost I'd be
if I did. Let's hope I can put it into practice as I prepare for leading
this Sunday's service, an area where I find it all too easy to rest on
my own experience and abilities.

Now I need to sleep (after this song...)

No comments: