Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Brussels Airport

I'm sat in Brussels airport having succuesfully completed the first leg of my journey out to Bourofaye Christian School, Senegal. It's been a long day so far. I set my alarm for 2:40am, allowing enough time for a shower, some bible study and a quick breakfast. The first problem was that I didn't actually get to sleep, even after going to bed at 9, the second problem was that I couldn't get any hot water in my shower and hence emerged from it shivering. My parents and I stayed last night at the mission's headquarters in Gerrard's Cross, Buckinghamshire. Having done so meant that Gatwick was just an hour away so we arrived in plenty of time for check-in, having set off at ten to 4. Having got rid of my luggage we sat down for a farewell cuppa and prayed together before my parents left me to get on with the fun of August 2006 UK airport security. As I joined the queue I was confronted by a sign informing me that I could buy 'anything' in the departure lounge, I couldn't help imagining a shop selling wild Elephants. Whilst still pondering this I was asked to put my pockets into a plastic bag, another interesting thought. Now /i'm watching the last few people drift through the departure gate and wondering if I should think about moving too; the plane doesn't leave for twenty minutes! I was half expecting to bump into Ruth here who is supposedly arriving at the same time via the same airline but there's been no sign of her so far. Maybe I should get up now, I'm the only person left sat here. If I miss the plane it's my dad's fault, he told me not to rush in departure lounges...

No comments: